Ottobock WalkOn Dorsiflexion Assist Orthosis Support
Designed to reduce the risk of stumbling and falling for individuals with permanent dorsiflexor weakness, the Ottobock WalkOn Dorsiflexion Assist Orthosis Support helps to lift the foot during the swing phase. This improves safety of the gait while walking, and with a lightweight and discreet design the orthosis is ideal for assisting you as you go about your day.
Key Features and Benefits of the WalkOn Dorsiflexion Assist Orthosis
- Lightweight orthosis designed to lift the foot during the swing phase where permanent dorsiflexor weakness is present
- Suitable for dorsiflexor weakness with slight to moderate spasticity
- Designed for both indoor and outdoor use for users with no or only mild impairment of motor control in the knee joint
- Also suitable for individuals with a slight instability in the ankle joint
- May be used after a stroke, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, neuromuscular atrophy, or peroneal paralysis
- Improves the safety of the gait while reducing the risk of stumbling and falling
- Prevents the tip of the foot from becoming caught as easily on small obstacles or uneven ground
- Comprises carbon fibre prepreg materials with a carbon fibre spring at the back to extend the Achilles tendon to the calf
- Outlast material reduces heat development and perspiration for improved comfort
- WalkOn ankle foot orthosis provides support while walking for users with residual musculature
- Improves the smoothness of walking at the point of toe-off while stabilising the ankle
Please see the table below for information about recommended shoe sizes and the total height of the AFO. Then, select your required AFO from the drop-down menus at the top of the page.
|Shoe Size ||Height (cm) |
|EU Size 36 - 39 (UK Size 3.5 - 5.5) ||45cm (13.8") |
|EU Size 39 - 42 (UK Size 5.5 - 8) ||36cm (14.2") |
|EU Size 42 - 45 (UK Size 8 - 10.5) ||37cm (14.6") |
|EU Size 45 - 48 (UK Size 10.5 - 13) ||39cm (15.4") |
Indications of the WalkOn Ankle Foot Orthosis
The Ottobock WalkOn AFO is suitable for the following conditions and situations:
- Dorsiflexor weakness with slight to moderate spasticity
- Indoor and outdoor use by user with no or mild impairment of motor control in the knee joint or slight instability in the ankle joint
- Suitable following a stroke, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, neuromuscular atrophy, or peroneal paralysis
Safer and More Natural Walking
By supporting and lifting the foot during the swing phase, the WalkOn Orthosis improves gait safety while walking. There is also a reduced risk of the tip of the foot being caught on uneven ground or obstacles, in turn lowering the risk of a stumble or fall.
The WalkOn AFO also assists with moving and walking more naturally, as the special carbon fibre prepreg materials store energy when stepping down with the heel and then releasing it during the rollover movement of the foot. The WalkOn assists with putting a more natural load on the forefoot whether crouching down or walking up stairs, helping you carry on with your daily activities.
Discreet and Lightweight Orthosis
When wearing an AFO, the last thing you want is for it to be feel bulky or making you feel self-conscious. Thankfully, the WalkOn Orthosis is lightweight, slim, and discreet when worn under clothing. It even features a removable calf pad to make it more practical for you.
The support is also made of Outlast climate control material, which reduces heat development and perspiration. As the AFO can be worn in virtually any shoe with a reinforced heel, it's ideal for providing reliable support wherever you go.
Staying Active with the WalkOn Dorsiflection Support
You don't need to let a condition such as dorsiflexor weakness stop you from getting out and about, as this lightweight WalkOn orthosis is great for helping you to stay active. While extreme and abrupt movements should be avoided, while wearing the WalkOn you can walk around and stay active with greater comfort and ease.
How to Wear the WalkOn AFO
The last thing you want when improving your gait is to have to contend with complicated straps and fiddly buckles. Preventing that potential problem, the WalkOn Orthosis can be applied with ease. Simply place the orthosis into the shoe, insert your foot, and then fasten the hook-and-loop closures to a comfortable tightness.
Washing the WalkOn Foot Support
Allowing you to ensure your WalkOn can be kept clean and hygienic, the orthosis support can be wiped regularly with water and a mild cleaning agent. Washing the pad at least twice a week with a machine wash at 40°C will help to further improve hygiene.
WalkOn Foot Support Video
Watch the video below to find out more about how the WalkOn Dorsiflexion Assist Orthosis Support can help you.